Sometimes as a freelance designer you get a request to complete a new project you’ve never done before. Often its better to sub these jobs out. This was one of those jobs that I decided to complete on my own.
I started by designing the logo and getting the colors matched. After the customer approved the design, I ordered 15lb HDU substrate and other materials. Once the HDU sign board arrived, I cut and sanded it down and applied the mask. The signs were sandblasted 1/8” to give the logo and letters a raised look. Then I primed and painted the signs with 1-Shot sign paint and clear coated over the paint.
I destroyed one of the signs by priming the board before blasting it. This caused a uneven surface and I wasn’t happy with the results. So I made a replacement sign which delayed timeline. Another lesson I learned is that pressure pot media blasters need dry air. Condensation in the line causes clogs at the point where the air meets the media. This stops all progress and takes time to repair.
Overall, the signs came out nice, the customer was happy, and I learned a new skill.
If you would like a quote for a sign for your business, send me an email.